Since 1948, the Kresge Eye Institute has played a major role in these extraordinary developments through a dedication to excellence in patient care, eye research and medical education.
Following World War II, leading ophthalmologists Drs. A.D. Ruedemann Sr. and Parker Heath saw the need for a comprehensive eye institute in Michigan. Through a generous grant from the Kresge Foundation, they established the Kresge Eye Institute in Detroit and took on the challenge of bringing together physicians and scientists in a collaborative effort to preserve vision.
With the advent of a new century, the Institute is considered one of the nation’s leading medical centers for the preservation of sight and has an international reputation for its pioneering eye research program, basic science studies and serves as a major referral center for the treatment of difficult vision problems. A part of Wayne State University since 1966, the Institute is an integral part of the University’s School of Medicine, and administers and directs all ophthalmological services for Wayne State University and the Detroit Medical Center.