Eye Surgical Associates is the most experienced and largest ophthalmology practice in the city of Lincoln, with a long tradition of service to patients and referring doctors. The practice was founded in 1940 by Maynard Wood, M.D., the first residency-trained ophthalmologist to practice in Lincoln. His son, Larry Wood, M.D., joined him in 1973.
The practice officially became Eye Surgical Associates when Max Linder, M.D., joined the Woods in 1979. The practice moved from 600 North Cotner to a new building at 5445 South Street in 1982. Dr. Maynard Wood retired after 50 years in practice in 1990. Across town, Greg Sutton, M.D., and his wife Margaret Sutton, M.D., a dermatologist, established the Sutton Skin and Eye Clinic at 6900 L Street in 1982. Eye Surgical Associates and Sutton Skin and Eye merged in 1989, but continued to practice out of two different locations. The same year, Vince Sutton, M.D., brother to Dr. Greg Sutton, moved to Lincoln from Hastings and joined the practice.