TSO of Laredo was started by Dr. George T Barrera, a 1950 graduate of Northern Illinois College of Optometry. He came to Laredo in 1960 to open the Texas State Optical of Laredo. He was joined by his son, Dr. Mario R. Barrera, a 1982 graduate of the University of Houston College of Optometry.
Dr. Mario R. Barrera is certified as a therapeutic optometrist by the Texas Optometry Board to treat eye infections ( pink eye ), allergies, and foreign body removal.
It wasn’t just by chance that the name Texas State Optical came into existence over 75 years ago. Back then, it was our vision to establish a family of doctor offices, and today over 100 practices proudly carry the TSO name throughout Texas and the Southwest.